Do you think sign language would work for babies? Have any of you guys tried it?

Home Online Discussion Forum For Women Parenting Do you think sign language would work for babies? Have any of you guys tried it?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Abha 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Abha
    Participant

I have heard that sign language training for babies as early as 4 months would help the new parents a great deal. And when they are about seven to nine months old, they will be able to sign back which would be helpful for the parents.
    There are a lot of sign-language aids available today like flashcards and DVD’s. I have a three month-old infant, I was thinking about training my little one.
    Any experiences, ideas or opinions?

Sapna
    Participant

I think it is a great way to communicate with babies, especially for new parents. I have used the sign language training with both my kids. I started teaching them as early as five months. Once they are ready they will start to sign back. I used very basic signs like More, Done, Sleep, Hungry and Change.

More:
    I taught my babies to open their fingers keep the palms up.

Done:
    I taught them to flip open hands upside down.

Sleep:
    Close the eyes and keep the hands in “Namaste” position.

Hungry:
    Make circular motion with hand on the belly.

Change:
    Point to the diaper to say that they need a change right now.

All the best.

Abha
    Participant

Wow! That is greatly informative. Thanks. I would definitely try. Thanks a lot Sapna!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.